Monday, January 18, 2021

Breaking the Clean Plate MIndset

 I grew up in a clean plate era. If you put it on your plate, then you ate it, or else.

It has been a bad habit to break. I have now given myself permission to (gasp) throw away food—Hum, “why,” you might ask. The answer, plain and simple, is that I may throw away food for the good of my health.

Do not shame people because they don’t want to eat all of the food on their plates. Overeating leads to weight gain and being overweight, which then leads to a host of health problems. Portion control is out of control in the US, at least where we dine out. We often share an entree, sometimes the complete meal. I’ll get a side salad or possibly a baked potato.

As to eating at buffets, I start with a small portion of protein (palm size), multiple small amounts of low-carb cooked vegetables (less than a tablespoon each). Then I will have a dessert or a starchy vegetable with another small portion of a different protein. No food waste on my part unless the food is inedible as in under/over-cooked, tastes off, over-salted, or I can taste or feel the effect of flavor enhancers in the protein or vegetables.

Experience shows that allowing small portions of different foods at the same meal results in less food being wasted and cutting down on overeating.

When I cook at home or for groups, I freeze left-overs immediately after the meal is eaten. No food waste occurs. Leftovers are factored into succeeding meals or meal dishes. I also fix items that are child-friendly and suitable for diabetic or low-carb diets. 


I will do research into Keto and Palo diets before I cook my next large family gathering meal. I believe a steamed California blend of vegetables or the addition of a small salad will be a plus to the menu. I may possibly add steamed broccoli and cauliflower with a cheese sauce on the side. Yes, there will be a variety of salad dressings, including oil and vinegar-based dressings.


Needless to say, I observe safe-serve food practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment