Sunday, March 3, 2019

Closets, again


A Packrat’s Closet

I have been decluttering for over 15 years.  When hubby’s mom and dad both went into the nursing home, he (we), and his family had to deal with the accumulated possessions of his parents over the life of their marriage.  For us, it was a time consuming, lengthy, draining process.  It was after this life altering experience that I started decluttering my own home.

The garage is well appointed and has been mostly organized and cleaned.  Big heavy furniture, from both the living room and the spare room have found new owners in another home The heavy furniture in our home was replaced with lighter, easily moved furniture.

The books now fit into the bookcases.  The craft and catering stuff has a building, (note—area still needs work). 

All towels and linens have a designated home and fit within those confines without spilling over into another space.

“But, what about the closets?” you ask.

When I visit decluttering web sites, I see challenges about removing x number of items a day or per week, or reducing clothing down to x number amount of clothing in an effort to simplify or minimalist the amount of clothing one owns.  

I have had that simplification, almost 49 years ago.  When I got married, all of the clothing that I owned fit into one large suitcase.  When I had a child, the clothing choices were limited.  The resulting body alterations reinforced those limitations.

However, being in the work force, motorcycling, and attending church increased my need for a varied wardrobe.

I can and do wear clothing I wore 30 years ago.  If I put something on that does not fit my body, I will gift it away during the upcoming weeks and not replace it.

I have chosen core, classic, forgiving clothing that skims the figure.  Each item works with other items in the closet.  They all fit, flatter, are classic, and are quality made.  Although the clothing closets are full, all the clothing in the closets and drawers fit the space when everything is clean and put away.

More recently, retirement has limited my optional spending pattern. Therefore, reducing my closet to x number amount of clothing is not something that I am comfortable with doing.  I cannot afford to replace the nicer things if I got rid of them.

Someday I will have that minimal wardrobe again, but it will mostly be because I will not replace outgoing items until I reach a self-imposed goal.  I will shop my closet when I want a new look. 

I am happy at the organized plateau that I have reached with my clothing and closets.

We each have to reach a happy compromise of our own with our possessions.  We do not have to meet someone else's idea of perfection.

Personally, I have learned to live with good enough.  At least, it is a step forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment