Sunday, July 2, 2017

Response to AARP's "Downsizing? Ditch These Items," by Jeff Yeager, AARP

Today, July 2, 2017,  I read the article at AARP “Downsizing? Ditch These Items” by Jeff Yeager, AARP . Here’s my response.  I loved it and for those who were shall we say less enthused about some of the suggestions then here goes "nuthin'."  Pick out what applies to you, dismiss the rest. It was written for those who don't know where to start. You've got it together, more power to you.

When my siblings and I were at hospice waiting for my mother to die, we planned our mythical "when I win the lottery" house to be built at the beach. 4 siblings, 4 Master suites, 4 walk in closets, 4 his/hers with small sitting room and 4 ADA roll in bathrooms , with 4 college dorm kitchenettes. There was going to be a large open living room  (Wifi} and a 3 bay wash sink, a prep sink, a hand wash sink and in another area a serving counter that had 4 burner stove top so stuff could be left to stay warm in cooking container as well as a walk in pantry since it was my ticket. I wanted an under counter beverage container here also. One sibling was all for everything being throwaway in the kitchen (no dish washing). I want one large freezer and one large refrigerator. A Hoosier baking station, A Butlers pantry for drink stuff beside the fridge. A snack pantry area. A coffee station. All of this without a lot of higher cabinets and nothing below 15 inches from the floor. Compromised on higher cabinets--could use it for disposable food service storage.  Oh! Don't want to forget- his/her computer access each room. We could pool our resources, have privacy when we needed it and each could do his/her own thing. 2 room bunk house for when the kids come to visit. Built in bunks and storage. 2 separate showers and dressing rooms. Triple occupancy stalls in 2 separate bathrooms. Can I say NOT going to happen. I didn't win.

We bought our home 40 years ago and have been renovating it into our retirement home ever since.

I'd love to have a bigger house, mine is only 1000 or so square feet. It has a living room, 1 bathroom, kitchen, dining area, 2 bedroom (one is now the exercise/bird/library sometimes dining room) Could and did make room when daughter came back and brought more with her for about 2 1/2 years.
Current debt is utilities and the loan for the really necessary new air/heat system. 
Clothing-when everything is clean the clothing fits in closets and drawers. New rule-1 in/3 out.
Exercise equipment, yep I use it and will use it more for rehab coming up.
Kitchen stuff, love it, using it, keeping it.
Car down to one, just can't afford 2.
Childhood memorabilia -Daughter has hers and I've my tassel and diploma. What not's or dust catchers are behind glass and have a designated limited display space. 
Furniture--been replacing larger, heavier pieces with lighter, more flexible arrangement stuff that "fits,"  is easier to get out of, and allows walk space beside and in front of it. Dare I say "electric wheelchair" space available in each room. Perk: easier to clean under and around the stuff.
Books, mags, dvds. As long as they fit my shelves & magazine racks I'm keeping them. However, I regularly Drop renewals, purge and donate to various places.
Files Yuck! All my tax returns. 7 year back up full of only itemized. Warranty/manual/return boxes once the warranty is gone ditch the box and paperwork. Item replaced ditch the rest and get rid of the old item. Have a "evacuate or in case of emergency" file or "when I'm gone": legal paperwork (wills, power of attorney), insurance, titles, loan and resolutions, marriage, death, birth, etc. Bright red file easily grabbed.

Enjoy folks, only way I'd get to down size is to go into a nursing home. Hubby says he'll call Good Will and tell them to load the bookcases and contents, the craft building contents, my display cases and contents, and the two pieces of exercise equipment. He'll give my parrot to a breeder.


Yippee!! I'm done. Aren't you glad!

No comments:

Post a Comment