Sunday, July 2, 2017

My non-response to the AARP "Downsizing? Ditch These Items"

Today, July 2, 2017,  I read the article at AARP “Downsizing? Ditch These Items” by Jeff Yeager, AARP
I had a response and posted it but here’s what I forgot. 
Jeff said something about rented storage and Decorations being on the list. I don’t have rented storage and here’s what I did about Decorations a few years ago.

I returned the large borrowed Christmas tree I used from my brother-in-law after I bought one of those new slim-line trees that had lights at ¼ price after Christmas one year.

The next year we were putting down floating floors and space was limited in the house (around Thanksgiving) as I brought in Boxes & Boxes of Christmas decorations. I decorated the tree, but did Not use light strings or garlands. 

As I placed the decorations on the tree I evaluated them, “use, donate, trash, use elsewhere.” Once I was done I had one “use elsewhere” box of ornaments that went back to the building.

I had quite a bit of “donate” stuff since the new tree was a third to a quarter of the size of the old tree. I loaded the trunk, backseat, and passenger seat of a Toyota Corolla with Christmas decorations and took it straight to Good Will so that others could use them.

That’s not counting the stuff that went to the trash, or the boxes of additional Christmas Stuff I didn’t bring into the house.

Another year, I went through the tabletop decorations. I set them up on a table and let the nieces and nephews pick what they wanted. They knew they weren’t new but they were quality decorations. Had less than a small shopping bag to take to Good Will that year.

PS: Never did the outdoor decorations for seasons so I had none to purge.


So, what will you do with your extra Christmas stuff this year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment