Thursday, August 27, 2020

How do you effectively declutter unnecessary items?

 

Can you become a minimalist?


I’ve been getting rid of things for years. I want more open areas in the home and fewer things to dust.


Last week I took two chairs to see about getting them recovered. They were great to sit on; however, they seemed to have developed a skin condition and black material was flaking off constantly. The starting price to recover was $250 each. I paid $99 for them. I asked the upholster owner if he would like them for free. He took them. They will not be replaced.


My newly married granddaughter needed a computer desk for her new home. Her mom and I took her to look at desks. The one she liked was over $200 dollars; that just wasn’t going to happen right now. 

I offered her a 4-foot wide by 2.5-foot deep glass-top metal computer desk that was in my craft room. She can add a wood top if she wants to since her new father-in-law builds cabinets. Or wait, save the money, and buy the one that she wants. (I used the glass top table for around 3 years.)


I purchased a folding 4-feet by 2-feet height-adjustable table for the craft room (can double for tailgating) before I was gifted the computer table by my brother-in-law. 


All of the above to say, if you find something that no longer works for your in your home, or it no longer fits your lifestyle, or someone you know can use it, then, it is time to let the item go. 

You are not losing something, you are gaining space and more free time to play since you will have fewer things to clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment